Thursday, March 3, 2016

Book Review: "Assume The Position: Memoirs of an Obstetrician Gynecologist"

I know, I know. You must already be thinking wtf??? just at the title of this one, but it came up as a recommended book after I read Baby City, and honestly the title both made me giggle a little and intrigued me at the same time. (Plus, I was hoping maybe it might take away a little bit of my own phobias surrounding gynos, but no such luck.)

This book is, predictably, an autobiography of a former OB/GYN. I was hoping perhaps this book might have the same sort of excitement and flavor as Baby City, but honestly... I hate to say this about someone's life story, but it was actually pretty dull. (I was also put off by the many numerous typos. This is one thing that irks me about Kindle Direct Publishing and the fact that literally anyone can publish a book now; there's no editors who come in and check for these things anymore.) It details the whole journey, from med school through this man's entire career, and everything in between, as well as life after medicine. Given it's a field I once thought I might go into myself, I'll admit that I thought perhaps I could live vicariously a little here, but again, no such luck, since the book seems to focus more on things like how this job affected the author himself in his life rather than what goes on behind closed doors. (I realize there's patient confidentiality to take into account here, and this actually makes him a very good doctor for respecting that, but in terms of an author, maybe not so much.) Honestly I'm not quite sure what I was expecting here, but the whole book just felt like it was lacking a certain something I can't quite put my finger on, and I was never able to shake that feeling. For that reason, I'm rating it a 3 out of 5 stars. Not the worst book on the planet, but not the most gripping of tales, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment